Lexical, Story, and Concept Level Comparisons
The Sequence of Authority in the Created Order
- Lexical Level
- lo moth thimuthoon (you shall surely not die) – (3:4) Serpent is refuting not only the Woman’s assertion, but emphatically refuting God’s regulation.
- 3:6 – Amount of time given to Man deliberating and eating is insignificant compared to woman.
- 3:8-9 – God pacing about and seeking Man indicates a sense of helplessness and anxiety.
- Story Level – Movement in Scene 1. Begins with Authority Hierarchy in this Scene is Serpent, Woman, Man, God.
- Concept Level – Contrast Story Level Movement with Authority Sequence in Gen 1 and 2.
- God → Man → Woman → Living Creatures.
- In Gen 3, the constant emphasis on the order of command and who obeyed whom indicates the reversal of the designed Sequence of Authority.
Blessings in Creation (1:27-29, 2:23) versus Punishment after Fall (3:14-19)
- Lexical Level
- Fruitful and multiply (2:28) → Pain in Childbirth (3:16)
- Dominion over Living Creatures (2:28) → Enmity Between Serpent and Woman (3:15)
- Vegetation for Your Food (2:29) → Thorns, Thistles, Cursed Ground (3:17-19)
- One Flesh and a Complimentary Helper (2:23) → Conflict Between Man and Woman (3:16)
- Story Level – In Gen 1 and 2, God was the one determining the roles, provision and the resulting blessings. In Gen 3, Woman and Man determined the roles (3:6) and provision (3:7), and so God reversed his blessing.
- Concept Level – God was the provider and delegator of responsibility. When Man and Woman sought to change or “improve” this responsibility and provision, the Blessing was reversed.
The post Genesis 3:1-3:24 – Lexical, Story, and Concept Level Comparisons appeared first on Literology.